Monday, January 14, 2013

Power of Rejection




Power of Rejection

Few years ago I had participated in a Toronto Raptors 50/50 draw event . The goal  was to sell 2 tickets for  $5 or 3 tickets for $10 to fans coming to the game. We would be treated watching the 2nd part of the game from the press box have pizza and pop!

I was excited about  attending the game and was looking forward to do earning it by selling the tickets. I learned few important lessons in selling the tickets. 

When I arrived I was given a shirt , apron and batches of tickets and explained the process on how to sell the tickets and who to report to when I came back with the  money. The next part  I advised  I would go out on my own. (That wasn’t too  exciting)

As I went to my designated spot I had to come up with a plan to sell these tickets on my own.  I knew what to say it was the rejection I was concerned about!

The people started coming  and I started saying.  “Participate in the 50/50 draw 2 tickets for $5 and 5 tickets for  $10 half of money goes to charity”.  I kept repeating it over and over again and nothing happening.  People just get passing by me as if I wasn’t there.  I had started to do some public speaking and one of the suggestions  from my entrepreneurs friends was to relax and take deep breathes and release the pressure, so that’s what  I did  stepped aside and  went to the side and just took some deep breathes and relaxed.

I re-entered the crowd and kept repeating the phrase over and over again. I began to sell some tickets and started to get some confidence and money in my apron. There were still people looking at me and going by, some were ignoring me and others were simply disinterested.

There was  young couple   who approached me holding hands and initially the guy turned me down but his girlfriend bumped him and told him to buy few tickets. I said  “Thank you and good luck!”

Within the next hour I had sold all my books and was full of  cash, I literally ran back with all my cash excited and joy filled. When I got back to give them the cash she said “ You sold them all, very good nobody is back yet, you want to back for more?” I thought more rejection sure why not!

                                                        “Rapid rejection works “ Tom Kaufmann

I headed back with more tickets and hand sold some more I even helped out another set of volunteers with encouragement and education. They tried to give their tickets to sell. “Nice try I said” 

The tides turned very fast and all because I was persistent and determined to succeed and earn to watch the game and eat my pizza.

Patience is a virtue in any situation even in taking all that rejection it eventually turned over and worked for me and it was very exciting when it did.

As half time ended we went back and handed in all our money and remaining tickets and went on the long guided walk to the press box at the Air Canada Centre. The pizza and soft drinks awaited us as we sat down to watch the last 2 quarters of the game.

Had great time in meeting new people , sharing stories of our experience and networking.

At the end the game the Toronto Raptor’s scored more than 100 points and we won another slice of pizza!

 Check out www.21connections.ca for more information on Jim Pagiamtzis

No comments:

Post a Comment